Global public markets’ volatility increase and especially those relating to British voters going to Brexit elections in two weeks. Probability is higher for a no to Brexit according to Bloomberg data – meaning they’ll likely vote to stay.
Private market investors seem to have shifted focus from growth to profitability and growth. Several journalists and savvy people are now picking up on the cooler climate in tech and VC fundings.
In Stockholm the Brilliant Minds conference brought attention to the city as Eric Schmidt (Chairman of Alphabet), Niklas Zennström (Atomico) and Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales were amongst others the notable participants Gettyimages
What was the outcome – well, apart from more artist events and bigger parties – the markets are cooling down.
– Apple made a “big” adjustment to its “Apple tax” – the rev split developers have to share with Apple when in-app purchases are processed. The Verge (see graphic below) Expectations are Apple will release several other changes to the App Store at its WWDC (developer conference) starting next week.
– One US investor claimed Tesla might become one of the largest companies in the world – here is why he believes so BusinessInsider
– Klarna co-founder Niklas Adelbert named his first private investment in digital therapy DiDigital
– Uber and Fiat announced they’re co-working on self-driving cars TechCrunch
– Social fishing network Fishbrain revealed its FY 2015 numbers and announced they’re now pivoting towards profitability. DiDigital
– Sellpy announced they’re opening for home pick-up of bags in Gothenburg and the South-West of Sweden DiDigital
– Top 50 most inspiring Nordic tech women were named by a jury Breakit
– During Alphabet’s AGM Chairman Eric Schmidt announced they’re looking to wirelessly connect homes to internet – becoming a telco? WSJ
– Amazon fresh will launch in the UK TheVerge
– GM might start leasing cars to Lyft drivers in California SFExaminer
– Eric Schmidt also remarked on Brilliant Minds that he believed Europe soon will have a “start-up” similar to Google DiDigital
– Article on how Mattias Ljungman and Niklas Zennström formed Atomico Breakit
– and how Atomico will shift gears to ramp up investments in Sweden through Sophia Bendz’ lead Breakit
– Schibsted will close another one of their start-up acquisitions Breakit
– Andreessen Horowitz close another USD 1.5 BN early stage fund TechCrunch
– Investment opportunities in self-driving car start-ups TechCrunch
– CEO of SVT claims the organization is not doing well unless it continues to be fast paced Resume
– SF Studios CEO fired Aftonbladet after allegations of the organization culture being to much of a fraternity DN
– The music industry collaborates to fight Youtube TheVerge
– Apple’s recent changes in the Apple tax can benefit app-developers DiDigital
– Youpic – Swedish photo app start-up reduce its recent funding round after investor interest decline Breakit
– AMD released new VR graphic cards at significantly lower price points allowing VR HMDs to reduce price points significantly Engadget
– Changes to Apple tax
– App categories with the highest revenues